Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Lunch Date

Over three weeks keeping this blog - nearly every day - and over four weeks of being a full-time freelancer. This is such an odd time. I've never had more chatty lunches in my life. Well, perhaps in college. But as a freelancer, you always feel your lunch date should count for something. Even with my best girlfriends, I find myself wondering, how can we use this to our collective advantage? How?


Of course, Friday night out on the town was most decidedly not for our collective advantage. Point to ponder.

Last night, I had a drink with a former mainstream press New York journalist who has turned to editing her own amazing outer-borough blog now that traditional media has earthquaked. She's doing fairly well, too. Not money-wise (never money-wise), but readership-wise, relevance-wise, reverence-wise. Of course, one whiskey in, I asked, in only semi-jest, if I could craft a culture department for her - a recurring series on Brooklyn nightlife and theater.

"Yes!" she said, enthusiastic, and taking me aback completely. "That is just what we were looking for!"

And to think, if I had been tied down to a full-time job, I'd never been able to drink at 5pm and sweet-talk New Economy Media Editors the way I can now.

How I wrap myself in the silver lining of this odd recession.

No comments: